Movie-wise, 2011 was a bit of a disappointment for me. We had a few lackluster sequels and remakes, nothing that really stood out to me. I feel that 2012 will prove to be a much better year, especially for an avid moviegoer. 2012 seems to be the year for releases that we have all been waiting for forever (Men in Black III, hello?).Here are my 5 most anticipated movies of the upcoming year:
- The Avengers – Okay, so I really don’t think that this movie will be an award winner, but it’s a film that a lot of fans have been looking forward too. Whether we enjoyed the individuals films or not, this is sort of the culmination of years of apt movie-going. I first heard whispers of an Avenger movie back in 2008 at San Diego Comic Con and I have been waiting for it ever since. Besides, I can’t deny that Robert Downey Jr. plays Tony Stark wonderfully and I am excited to watch him bring that character to life once again.
- Shame – Yes, I know this film actually hit theaters this year, but it won’t play anywhere close to me until January. Even then, I’ll end up driving almost 5 hours to see this NC-17 film. I have to be honest, like so many others, I wouldn’t have heard of this film if it wasn’t for Michael Fassbender. But unlike others, I’m not going in to this movie with any preconceived notions that this is like any other mainstream film. It’s not meant to be a fun, feel good movie. I feel it’s supposed to be a bit dark, disturbing at times.
- The Dark Knight Rises – Slated to be the last film in this current reincarnation of Batman films, I’m curious to see how this will stack of against fan favorite The Dark Knight. Anyone who has read the comics should be looking forward to the encounter between Bane and Batman. I hope it’s everything we’ve built it up to be. The newest poster looks amazing.
- The Raven – I had been wondering when John Cusack would make another movie and here we go. I believe that Cusack will pull off a very convincing Edgar Allen Poe in this movie.
- Magic Mike – I struggled to find a 5th movie for this list, so I decided to go with what will be known as the ‘stripper movie with the hot guys’. Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer, and Adam Rodriguez, among others? Yes please.
Now I know there are other movies that fans are eagerly awaiting for (The Hunger Games, Step Up 4), but they just don’t seem like my cup of tea. Who knows, I may be surprised. I know I’ll end up seeing more than just those few listed, but those are my absolute must-sees.
What are you looking forward to?