My order list for this week’s Farmer’s Market was low on fresh produce. There was plenty offered, but I still had a drawer full of the vegetables from the previous markets.
- 1/2 Gallon Whole Milk (Maple View Farm)
- 1/2 Gallon Low Fat Milk (Maple View Farm – for my boyfriend’s house)
- 4 lb. turnips (Somerset Farms – mom likes to eat them raw and I used some for roasting)
- 1 lb. mild pork sausage (from some place in Gates Co., the same people I purchased the pork chops from – had this Sunday morning, delicious!)
- A slice of 10 layer chocolate cake (Donna’s Dessert – this was a last minute pick-up as I was hungry that morning. It tasted much better than I anticipated, similar almost to my granny’s 16 layer chocolate cake)
My friend was on call this weekend so we couldn’t stray far from the house so he took me to look at this old graveyard we’d noticed before and then we stopped to an old farm for him to load up some wood.
Saturday night, I ended up breading the pork chops that I picked up from the last market and baking them along with some vegetables – sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, butternut squash, plus an onion and an apple that I picked up from a produce stand nearby. This was a delicious supper and we finished it off with the chocolate lava cakes I picked up from Trader Joe’s which were topped off with vanilla ice cream.
Speaking of Saturday night, my boyfriend renting us some movies (he uses an antenna just like I do, so we usually rent a movie or two): “Fury”, “Young Ones”, and “This Is Where I Leave You”. I enjoyed “Fury” – he didn’t. Neither of us enjoyed “Young Ones”, and we both loved “This Is Where I Leave You.”
I planted a bunch of seeds last Tuesday – Amish Paste tomato, Early Girl tomato, Better Boy tomato, Rosa Bianca eggplants, Cisineros Grande tomatillo, and Cossack Pineapple ground cherry. The first one, a tomatillo, sprouted on Sunday and as of this morning, it looked like half of all the total seeds that I planted have some sign of germination. I expect some casualties, but if all germinated, I will have 144 plants to possibly sell, trade, or grow myself. I haven’t started any seeds yet for my own personal use really – that will come near the beginning of March.