I love fall. I love how crisp and fresh the air becomes. I love being able to snuggle under a thick blanket to watch TV. I love being able to wear my flannel shirts and jeans (though I do stretch out wearing flip flops as long as possible). Between my upcoming trip to Alaska (!!!) and being booked for a show almost every weekend, this season is destined to fly by faster than I would like it to.
So I’ve developed a list of goals that I would like to accomplish during the fall season. Most are simple ones – no brainers – but a few tend to be a little more in depth.
- Tan deer hide – This is my biggest goal. I’ve mentioned tanning a couple of times in the blog but haven’t done it yet. It’s almost time for Robb to kill and process a deer so if I want him to get me more hide – I need to get on the ball with what is in my freezer and start the process.
- Make my own almond milk/discover uses for almond meal – It is amazing to me that I’ve gotten Robb to switch to almond milk. We actually both prefer the taste of it over regular milk now. The only issue is that store bought milk has so many additives added. I’ve been wanting to make my own almond milk for a while now and will be doing so this week.
- Make homemade Skyr – Simply put, Skyr is a type of Icelandic yogurt. I had the opportunity to try some a few months ago during a cheese making course (used in a Mango Lassi) and I fell in love with the taste.
- Keep my Etsy shop updated – If I ever want to make The Southern Belle’s Garden my living, I need to make it a habit to list items on a regular basis to my Etsy shop. I have a slew of nice items I’m developing for this holiday season and just need to carve out a chunk of time (maybe on Sundays) and make that my time to photograph and list the items. I also wouldn’t mind starting to post some of my photography for sell in my Etsy shop. I take hundreds of pictures every week and for the most part, keep them locked up on my memory card. Maybe it’s time to share them with others.
- Get my garden planted for Winter – This is highest on my to-do list at the moment. I’ve slowly been working on it, but I wanted everything planted before I leave for Alaska. I pulled up my sweet potatoes the weekend and most of my pepper plants last week. I have planted my garlic and plan to plan onions this week (both for Spring harvest). We have broccoli planted, collards, lettuce, spinach – but I do want to have a few root vegetables tossed in as well. The okra and eggplant are still rapidly producing and the beans are almost ready to be picked.
- Homemade flour tortillas – For some reason, I have become obsessed with the idea of making my own flour tortillas. Everything that I have read on the process leads me to believe that they are easy to make and the taste is out of this world. I thought that this might be a fun little weekend project when I finally have a free moment.
Do you have anything that you wish to accomplish this fall?