Remember my post of 5 Ways to Destress During a Busy Time? I thought it was time to do another post relevant to this week. Ever since 2017 hit, it seems like I’ve had a cold that I just can’t shake. A few days will go by with nothing and then – BAM – I’m feeling drained and snotty for a week. It’s been an endless cycle thanks in part to the crud going around. Between the crud circulating at my work and Robb’s work, we just can’t get away from it.
So here are a few of my favorite things to help you get over the crud! Keep in mind that these are the things that I have found to help me. Everyone is different so I recommend checking in with your doctor first if you aren’t feeling well because it could be the sign of something more serious.
- Ricola Natural Herb Cough Drops – These cough drops are one of the few things I can pop into my mouth when I start hacking that will help calm me. They include a mixture of herbs such as horehound, lemon balm, and mallow. I love the taste of these (maybe one day I will make some of my own).
- The Southern Belle’s Garden Irritated Lip Salve – This lip salve has been one of my top selling products. I keep it on hand to use daily but love using it when my lips are extra chapped from “mouth breathing” when I’m sick. I combine lemon balm, tea tree essential oil, peppermint essential oil, and a touch of clove to create this lip balm that you will want to make sure you have on hand year around.
- Elderberry Tea – Elderberries are a great source of Vitamin C and have been used medicinally for hundreds of years of treat cold and flu symptoms. I like to fix myself an tea using elderberries when I start feeling a bit under the weather. I’ll add about a cup of water and 1 tbsp. dried elderberries to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain out the berries and add a bit of honey (to taste).
- Young Living THIEVES Essential Oil – Young Living has a whole line of THIEVES products (from a Foaming Hand Wash to Toothpaste) but I prefer the versatility of the essential oil. THIEVES is a blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus radiata and rosemary essential oils making it a great oil to support healthy immune function.
When diffused, THIEVES helps purify the air, and can be very energizing and uplifting however one of my favorite ways to use it is as a non-toxic cleaner after a bout of sickness. I’ll soak my toothbrush in water with a few drops of THIEVES VITALITY or mix a cup of water and a cup of white vinegar with 20-30 drops of THIEVES essential oil in a spray bottle to use as a surface cleaner.
- Epsom Salt – I use Epsom Salt in a lot of my products for The Southern Belle’s Garden. I love using it in the bath because of how it helps to detoxify the body. Adding a cup of epsom salt to a hot bath will promote sweating and I always feel better after sweating. Be sure to drink plenty of water after though.
What are your “must-haves” for when you are feeling under the weather?
Interested in receiving your own Young Living oils at a discount? Consider signing up as a Wholesale Member to save 24% off of the retail price on all product purchases! For more information, contact me or click here to join.